Trust your Gut, Gut feeling, Gut instincts. Familiar sayings? If our gut is our first brain, and it’s out of balance, trusting our gut will be less clear.
I want to share with you insights into a miracle marvel of nature, to help restore gut balance for a host of benefits with our Mind & Body.
You’ve heard of probiotics I’m sure, kefir is natures potent answer, Kefir for mind & body.
Kefir, described as a grain, ‘kefir grain’ is a blend of yeasts and bacteria. They are spongy to the touch and look like little cauliflower florets with out the stalk.
Some of the benefits of Kefir for Mind & Body
- Replenishes gut microflora
- Nervous system calming
- Digestive balance – constipation or diarrhoea
- Natural source of vitamins & minerals.
- Normalises blood sugars
- Balances Cholesterol.
- Allergy support
- Immune system support
- Acid reflux
- Topical application – dry skin, skin complaints, cold sores, fissures, dandruff, thrush.
- Donnas 15 years of kefir
Milk kefir grains thrive off of lactose, the sugars found in milk. They consume the lactose and the byproducts of this are a plethora of healthy gut probiotics, digestive enzymes, vitamins, prebiotics and more.
A nutritional power house and even safe for lactose intolerants because the lactose has been consumed by the kefir.
When you’re starting out be mindful to start with a little and steadily increase. An egg cup full once a day with your main meal. You can then increase towards one of these with each meal. And over time you can increase this further and then when you feel you’re back in balance a maintenance dose, a tot or two a day.
As our guts rebalance side effects can occur because of the bad bacteria is dying off. This is known as the Herxheimer effect. So don’t panic, observe and stay curious.
What you need to make kefir at home;
- Kefir grains. Get them from me if you would like. Free to collect or £3 to be posted.
- Milk – Organic & Raw is best. Goats milk if you are convalescing, or cows or buffalo. If you can’t get raw, make sure it is unhomogenised.
- Glass jars
- Wooden or plastic spoon. No Metal, it reacts with the Kefir.
- Net bag, from lemons or onions or a plastic sieve with larger holes.
- Kitchen towel or muslin + elastic band.
How to make kefir – Quick simple video
- Put grains into a glass jar.
- Pour over milk
- Cover with paper towel or muslin and leave at room temperature for 24 – 48hrs
- Taste it to check before straining. – Check how you like it, some prefer less fermenting, others like it fizzy.
If its lumpy, you now have curds and whey and on your way to making cheese. Learn how here
- Put your net bag over the jar and pour contents into a separate container, never metal, glass bowl, mug, jar etc.
- Drink, eat or cover and put in fridge, or let it get thicker by leaving it at room temperature.
- Pour more milk over your kefir grains, cover and start the process again.
The more you make the more your little friends will grow. This also means the more grains creating magic in your milk you have the quicker your milk will ferment. Bear in mind outside temperatures, so in summer it may be quick, and slower in winter. If you want to slow it down put it in the fridge.
What to do when you’re away? Put them in the fridge, in a glass jar with milk, this is putting them to sleep. The longer you’re away the more milk you will need. If you’re away for a very long period this lady has a suggestion, watch from 3m15s. Storing grains video
How to use your Kefir milk – I drink it as it is, love it. You can second ferment it or use it as it is, and this lady has some great recipe ideas
Thankyou cows for your divine juice and thankyou Kefir for converting it to a power house of nutritional excellence.